Monday, June 24, 2013

An Experiment in Willpower - Not Previewing Anything

     On the April 22nd edition of The Indoor Kids podcast with Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon they discuss Bioshock Infinite. One of their guest Film Crit Hulk on the discussion of spoilers planted in my brain this radical idea that he's been doing. The idea is that he doesn't watch or read previews for television, movies, or video games.
     I tried this with Edgar Wright, Nick Frost, and Simon Pegg's new film The World's End trailer only to give in within hours of it being posted online. Similarly when I saw on Reddit that the trailer was going to be posted for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on the following Tuesday I am pretty sure a noise came out of my mouth that registered a lot of happiness. This was for a trailer, not the movie itself. That's kind of sad, though honestly if it was the movie itself I probably would of made the same squee sound.
      After hearing this random guy talk about avoiding trailers and how it changed his excitement and reevaluated the idea of watching trailers at all.
     It's somehow easier for books because there's no real videos and I am not a fan of reading online. I know there's preview chapters of Neil Gaiman's new book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane and that George R.R. Martin has posted preview chapters for The Winds of Winter but they're easier to avoid. Some previews are unavoidable with the websites I visit. Just for an example, there is a new Super Smash Bros. in development for Wii U. I don't own a Wii U yet because there hasn't been any software that's really caught my eye. It'll be impossible for me to visit Tumblr, IGN, or Twitter without hearing of a character included in the game but I can avoid any video previewing what they're like. I'll apply this to other websites as wlel. Some of the subreddits I am subscribe to will have to be unsubscribed to I am sure.
      Unrelated but sort of related is something I realized about this year in movies. This year has been the least amount of times I've been to the movies than any year I can remember. So far this year I've seen the horror movie Mama and Star Trek Into Darkness. I think that's about it. I didn't see Iron Man 3 or The Great Gatsby and I probably won't see Man of Steel
     The only movies I know I will 100% go see is The World's End and The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. I definitely have interest in Pacific Rim, Elysium, Anchorman 2, Thor: The Dark World, Ender's Game, Oldboy, and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For but I was interested in those other three film I didn't go see and I don't know if I will be compelled to see these in the theater either.

No comments:

Post a Comment