Friday, June 21, 2013

A box without hinges, key, or lid - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Part 2

     If you read my last post about 2012's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey then you know the jist of what this one was about. Also, I suggest reading my posts about adapting books to movies for my views on that sort of thing. Let's get right to it.

Parts of the book I was glad wasn't in the film.

The bits of children's magic - I can honestly say I didn't miss the mentioning of the Old Took's magic studs that never came undone and fastened themselves. Nor did I miss William's mischievous purse that Bilbo tries to steal, alerting the trolls to Bilbo's presence when the hobbit tries to prove himself as a burglar.

The bit with the hoods - In the book, everyone of the dwarves has their own uniquely colored hood that distinguishes them from each other with eventually loaning Bilbo one that is too big for him. Instead of using brightly colored hoods to make them look different the movies give them different personalities, clothing, speech, appearance and ways of fighting. 

Parts of the book I was surprised to find in the film.

Good morning! - The banter between Gandalf and Bilbo in the beginning just screams "I don't advance the plot! Cut me!" so I was highly surprised it wasn't cut.

The Songs - Although changed a little bit, I was highly surprised to find any of Tolkien's songs in the movie at all. Of course Blunt the Knives is on my top 100 songs played on my iTunes now. I'm wondering if there will be any songs in the next two films, who knows?

This turned out a lot shorter than I thought it would, so I'll post it shortly after Part I.

No comments:

Post a Comment