Friday, November 8, 2013

A Guilty Pleasure Post - My Love of Coffee Mugs

     I drink a lot of coffee, well there is probably people who drink more coffee than I do and a lot of people who drink less coffee than I do. It's varies from day to day. So what I should say is I drink a lot of things that require mugs i.e. tea, coffee, hot cocoa. Actually I think that's it. The point is I love coffee mugs. I own about nine mugs and here they are.

     If you know anything about what the reaction was to The Lord of the Rings when it came out, you'd know this was a popular phrase often tagged on walls and written on signs in the 1970s. So of course being a huge Tolkien enthusiast I had to get it.
     These are just regular ol' coffee mugs. Nothing special written on them but don't they look nice? They've got kind of a Green Lantern theme to them.

     House Targaryen of A Song of Ice & Fire and Game of Thrones fame, with their sigil and their motto on the side. They would probably drink some kind of wine out of this.

     Shaped like the famous TARDIS of Doctor Who fame with a nice lid to make up the top of the Doctor's time traveling police box. I have to say, it holds a lot but a square shape to drink out of can be kind of awkward. I use this more for tea than coffee.

     A Portal theme cup using Aperture Science's 70's logo. This is the smallest of all my mugs, being diner sized which they use for multiple refills. For some reason this lends to the taste of it. I can't explain it but coffee tastes the best in this mug.

     Coffee of Doom, the fictional coffee shop from Jeph Jacques' Questionable Content. I mostly bought this one because it looked cool but it feel much sturdier than all my other mugs for some unknown explanation. Maybe that red part inside of it as actual ceramic blood to keep the mug everlasting or it could just be made of thicker stuff considering it's from a more small indie kind of business rather than the large manufacturers of the other ones.
     Now here is a mug I don't own, but will.
     Why am I posting about mugs? Is there some kind of point? Well, I'm graduating soon and with graduating hopefully moving towards getting a writing job, getting a manuscript finished to sent out and submitting my writing to as many literary magazines, online news sites and well basically anywhere. There's something very "adult" about what's going on and it made me think of a discussion my friends and I have had on multiple occasions.
     I can't quite remember the context but I remember in what I believe to be 2011, my friend Dan told me that what made him feel like an adult was going to bed early because of responsibilities. I didn't agree because my parents have for the longest time stayed up very late due to my father's evenings work schedule. His parents, which I believe he told me so, probably went to bed very early to get up for work the next day. 
     Now, come early 2012 my friend Chris and I are doing our weekly writing sessions at Starbucks when the discussions of socks come up. This actually might of been late 2011/early 2012 as this revolves around Christmas gifts. He was telling me he loved getting socks as a present because otherwise he'd have to buy his own. In response I said that I always preferred Christmas presents to be things I wanted but wouldn't buy for myself and not things I need. This led to Chris's definition of what it means to be an adult which is having to buy your own socks.
     Eventually, when I started realizing I was collecting a set of coffee mugs for myself I came up with my own little signs that you're an adult. My friend Keri having just received a coffee mug from her job uploaded a picture of on twitter and I said "Being an adult is owning multiple coffee mugs." I remembered the discussion about socks and going to bed early then added it to the list. It could be a on BuzzFeed if the list was a bit longer.
Signs you are an adult
  1. Going to bed early.
  2. Buying your own socks
  3. Owning multiple coffee mugs.
     One day another friend will add to this list of quirky signs you're an adult and then we'll have a real list on our hands. Obviously there's more to being an adult than these things but it makes me laugh that my friends and I have these quirks that makes us feel like "adults."


No comments:

Post a Comment